A Maturity Model enables an organisation to assess their current level of capability and to map the route to improved performance by modelling process capability at typically one of five ascending levels often referred to as "The maturity curve":
Whether looking to diagnose a root cause of poor performance or to enhance an existing asset, the right maturity model is an invaluable guide when looking to build management capability.
There are five different maturity models:
- PRINCE2® Maturity Model (P2MM) is perfect for organisations that have adopted PRINCE2® as their delivery framework, especially if they deliver standalone projects. It is aligned to the P3M3® maturity model but focuses on project processes especially, providing a clear map of the characteristics of a PRINCE2® delivery framework at all five of the capability levels.
- Portfolio Management (PfM3); Portfolio Management is a co-ordinated collection of strategic processes and decisions which enable the most effective balance of organisational change and business as usual/operations
- Programme Management (PgM3); Programmes have a tendency to run over several years. The lifecycle of a programme ensures that a project is initiated, executed and closed. Several associated projects can be initiated at the same time and the programme ensures that these projects are co-ordinated effectively to meet an organisation's strategic objective.
- Project Management (PjM3) is defined as a unique set of co-ordinated activities, with definite starting and finishing points, undertaken by an individual or team to meet specific objectives within defined time, cost and performance parameters as specified in the business case.
- ISO/IEC 20000 is the international standard specifically aimed at IT Service Management. The standard is based on the ITIL® Best Practice framework for IT Service Management and it allows companies to demonstrate excellence and prove Best Practice in IT management. It ensures companies can achieve evidence-based benchmarks to continuously improve their delivery of IT services.